Saturday, July 28, 2007

Up the Iowa

This may sound stupid but today I paddled about four miles UP the Iowa River.

After experiencing the Mississippi River, I wanted to try the Iowa and didn't have someone to help me shuttle. So, I put in at Schwob Access in Wapello and paddled upstream to the Highway 61 Access.

I could tell within 10 minutes that I had gotten into something more than I intended. A couple of times I looked over at the shore and felt like I was in one of those perpertual swimming pools. The headwinds didn't help.

But, there were plenty of sandbars for resting (you can't rest on the water or you go backwards). And there was always a corner just up ahead.

I kept thinking that once I got around that corner, I might just be where I could see to Highway 61. And while I normally want to put the sounds of traffic behind me, I was straining to hear the trucks knowing that meant I was getting close to my goal.

In all the trip took about three and a half hours - the float back took right at an hour and it was heaven!!