Wednesday, April 15, 2009

First Trip of the Year

Though spring isn't officially here, the very spring-like weather lured me out for a quick trip to Indian Slough Wildlife Area. You'd think the picture was from the end of my trip but it was taken as I launched. I admit it wasn't as dark as this picture makes it look but there wasn't much light when I pulled out of the water.

It was however, a perfect time to be on the water. There are thousands of ducks and geese in the area and it seems they were all settling in at Indian Slough. Flock after flock circled the marsh, gliding into the trees and brush to find refuge for the night. It was really a sight to behold. And the sounds were amazing - there was a constant undertone of chattering, chuckling, splashing and wings flapping against the brush.

Between watching the birds and following a beaver, I didn't get very far from the road at all. The beaver popped up in the water ahead of me and led me around the marsh for awhile, disappearing under the water just as I would get close enough for a decent picture. Then he (she?) would pop up again and repeat the process. The picture's not great but it's a beaver though, trust me.

It was a beautiful night to be out - I'm so ready for spring to arrive for good and to get out on the water again.!